NY show added w/OH, MI, MA, MD...Caribbean Cruise w/Liz Phair, Aimee Mann
That’s right - I have a NYNY show shoehorned between two Maryland shows. That’s routing isn’t it? I’m thrilled to play Rockwood however - get tix fast as it only seats 60 peoples and I’m pretty sure it’ll sell out. Click on that below
3/6 - 3/13 - JOCO 202 Caribbean Cruise https://jococruise.com with Aimee Mann, Liz Phair, Jonathan Coulton (SOLD OUT)
3/14 - Columbus, OH - Columbus Performing Arts Center http://www.sixstring.org
3/15 - Ann Arbor, MI - The Ark http://www.theark.org/ (whooo hooo! - lots of Model Airplane people come to this show- come meet them. Some are the origin of Old White Men!!)
3/28 - Middleboro, MA - https://studio84houseconcerts.webs.com
4/3 - Easton, MD - www.avalontheatre.com
** 4/4 - NYNY - www.ROCKWOODMUSICHALL.COM **
4/6 - Silver Spring, MD - Institute of Musical Traditions www.imtfolk.org
4/17 - Marblehead, MA - www.meandthee.org - w/The Ellis of Paul!!
Good Good Man - streaming, CD Babying, even from me. Rave reviews on my mixed bag madness album. Yay I tell you...
• PayPal to - email@example.com
• check for anything between $10 - $20 and up to Vancefunder P.O. Box 17 Arlington, MA 02476
• **If your name is on the CD, you’re a friend, family member, promoter, radio/podcast personage, cash strapped, or anyone else that thinks they should just have one, send me your address and just ask and I’ll send it.**
-Private/public/houseparty things, coaching of songwriting, performance & voice, house spider naming (we do that here, and we DO NOT kill spiders in our house...) available upon request
Hi - I’m on this cruise in the Carribean. Wit Liz Phair. Aimee Mann. I’m just hob-nobbing away. It’s a blast, and I’m working too. Ever heard of Jonathan Coulton? Musician for NPR’s Ask Me Another. And writer of awesome post-nerd mid-2000’s tunes Code Monkey and my favorite here - Skullcrusher Mountain:
He’s real famous now, and he's the reason for the cruise. Well, someone told him about me and i got invited! Yeah, I too think Zombie Pattycake and Day Before November will fit right in with his Acoustic Sci-Fi Comedy Probing Musical Narrative. So yeah, I’ve been trading back and forth emails with him, Aimee Mann, and Liz Phair. Pfffft…
Here’s the thing. Last day of the cruise there’s a show that features all that want to take part in remembering musicians that passed the year before. Aimee Mann will do Drive by the Cars (RIP Rick Ocasek) Liz Phair does Just What I Needed (RIP Ocasek again). A trio of folks will do 70’s R&B stalwart Funkin' For Jamacia (RIP lead vocalist Toni Smith). I chose Joao Gilberto (RIP), the face, even before his wife Astrud Gilberto, of bossa nova. I’m scrambling as I speak to learn a bit more phonetic Portugese for Corcovado - aka Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars.
Anyone remember me at a few gigs in 2018 dragging around a classical guitar to do a few bossa nova things? Well I have fallen back in love. And as I researched more of Joao Gilberto’s singing, I came across this very late career live version of him live in front of an audience doing Eu Sei Que Vou Te Amar. Solo.
Something happens here that I wish for the whole world. Your mileage may vary, but I have yet to play this without weeping. His metronomic thumb. The audience connection both ways. The respect. The definition of sing-along - how quiet this audience is...they have dropped everything but this for now... The meditative, and yet relentless swing of his right hand. The harmony line he sings to the audience’s singing. The audible and yet somehow unobtrusive sneeze at one quiet moment. The aged, experienced, fragile musicality of this genius man.
All I’d ever do in my life is this music if I could. Just like this. If I could have just this magic moment as my own, it would not matter politics, race, color, death, taxes. Nothing, for a moment. This is all I want.
One day.. xovg
ps - who’d fund an album like this?
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#37 - Theme To Be Decided Later
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#36 Seldom-Played & 3 Fresh-Made
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#35 FLYING, THE SKY, AND STUFF IN IT
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#34 SONGS OF, ABOUT, BY, WOMEN
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#33 QUIET SONG NIGHT
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#32 WITH VARIOUS GUITARS
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#31 COUNTRY NITE
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#30 BIRTHDAY BASH
- Vance'sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#29 Scattered Agenda Nite
- Vance'sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#28 - People’s Names Night
- Vance'sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#27 No Agenda Thing
- Vance'sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#26 Jazz Standards And What Sounds Like One Night