Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#51 - Favorite Lines In A Song
Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#51 - Favorite Lines In A Song - This’ll be a chatty one. There are songs that have particularly lynchpin lines that stick with me. Monday I will play a song and then talk about the line in it that knocks me out. I don’t mean to be braggadocio but some songs will be mine, so these will be lines that maybe inspired the song to be written in the first place. This’ll be fun!!
When: Monday Nite, March 8th 7:30PM EDT (“doors” open at 7 for community hang) -
Who gets 10%: https://www.hamiltongarrett.org/ Hamilton-Garrett Music and Arts Academy is a non-profit after-school program, affiliated with the Historic Charles Street A.M.E Church in Roxbury, MA committed to the development of Boston's next generation of innovative artists through the celebration and preservation of Black music.
$$$: http://paypal.me/vancevancevance or
a check to VanceFunder P.O. Box 17, Arlington, MA 02476 for this web-groovery.
Pay or not. Up to you. Let’s stay connected.
This week’s pajamas: airplane bottoms. Black hoodie top
I coach stuff.
Good Good Man - the CD - streaming all over, even get a CD from me…
LESSER KNOWN WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH STUFF:
- The very Curtiss JN-4 Jenny that Bessie Coleman, first Black woman with an international pilot’s license, had actually flown. Registration number, color, and a few more pics would be out of this world. Thanks in advance.
- Mary McLeod Bethune…we always hear her name as a Great Black American Woman Educator. I always seem to see her name listed as if someone was trying to think of a Great Back American Woman that wasn’t Beyonce or Oprah, me included. So I had to look her up too. Oh dear.
Let’s start with the first Black advisor to a President, FDR, and the first to create, head, and appoint a cabinet on the Federal Council on Colored Affairs - also known as the Black Cabinet. Yes, I am scooping all of this from Wikipedia. This is just first paragraph stuff. And yes, I’m feeling angry that this stuff was not in my history books.
- Lyudmila Pavlichenko. Lady Death. The most successful female sniper in recorded history. I’ve done some reading on her, and whilst one’s claim to fame to be at the top of a game that is predominated by competitive, aggressive, and oppressive males of the species, it still goes to show what equality really means. Even the virulently anti-war Woody Guthrie wrote an ode to her called “Miss Pavlichenko” as he became increasingly convinced that U.S. involvement and intervention in what was to become World War 2 was a good thing. It’s complicated, isn’t it?
- Jacqueline Cochran…along with countless firsts in women’s and general aviation, she set a piston-engined aircraft speed records that stand today.
- My mom. I wish I had the wherewithal to see through her mental illness to see the who she really was amidst the fear, paranoia, schizophrenia, alcoholism, and the wake that she and my father created. I was busy swimming, surviving. To know of her struggles amidst the backdrop of entrenched racism and sexism would enrich me. Still working on that one, albeit in full aftermath. I’m doing ok, thanks.
- Readin' Liss:
"West With The Night" by Beryl Markham - favorite book of all time
"To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee - in my top ten books
"Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston… this leaves 7 more books - talk about favorite lines ever - "Put me down easy . . . Ah'm a cracked plate"
"A Black Woman’s History Of The United States" - I’m 3/4 done.
I’m still so ignorant. I’m 60+. I’m still learning. Mostly learning that there is woefully so much I have to learn.
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#54 - QUESTION SONGS
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#53 - MYXED BAG
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#52 - 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY ALL REQUEST SHOW
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#51 - Favorite Lines In A Song
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#50 - Songs With Color
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#49 - Storms and Weather. Because look out your window or at the news.
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#48 - Cities, Towns, Places.
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#47 - No Agenda, Just Singing.Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#47 - No Agenda, Just Singing.
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#46 - Sounds Like A Traditional Folk Song
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#45 - Theoretical New Album
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#44 - MLK Day - Songs By Black Writers
- Vance’sMondayNightAcousticPajamaParty#43 - Quiet Tunes You Need About Now